The confluence of technology and healthcare systems has given us several new disruptive products which can revolutionize community healthcare systems, especially in a world battling the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. The Apple-Google partnership had announced in April 2020 the launch of a notification tool to trace contacts to support the pandemic response efforts. While there are also earlier ventures like Google’s Project Nightingale, the pandemic has provided a further impetus for the fusion of healthcare. Today, community health tracking software can boost the social drivers of community health and support initiatives driven by communities aimed at improving community health.
The concern for data at the community level:
The availability and accessibility of data regarding the health of a community have always been a concern at the community level. While data is constantly being collected at the national or state level for the health profile indicators, this data might not be available to the community which generates the information. This is because communities often lack the resources and skills to accumulate data on the community’s health and analyze the information to make a meaningful, valuable inference. Health tracking software for the community can solve this problem once and for all.
The rise in the use of technology to track community health:
- As technology became much more available, affordable, and compact, Electronic Health Records or EHRs came to be used in academic medical facilities in the US in 1992.
Today clinicians work and practice in a world mediated by EHR. There is a constant need for compliance with sound ethical and professional standards and information security.
- The world saw a significant breakthrough with the Community Health Information Tracking System or CHITS, an electronic medical record system in the Philippines.
The CHITS is an extensive and growing open-source information system designed for the rural health units that collect health data and integrate them in a comprehensive approach. It makes community health data available to public agencies and the community that generates the information to understand the situation better.
With the aggressive advancement of technology in healthcare EHRs are complimenting the efficiency of the Community Health Centers. These provide healthcare to individuals with limited or restricted access to them for constraints such as being underinsured or having a low income.
Benefits of community health tracking software variants:
There are several benefits of community health systems EHRs that have impacted the health care system.
The advantages of community health tracking software are as follows:
- They can provide accurate and updated information about the patient, which improves the process of healthcare.
- They give incredibly fast access to the records of the patients, which ensures that healthcare is fast, efficient, and coordinated.
- It ensures the secure exchange of information with clinicians and patients, which fortifies the integrity of the healthcare system.
- It also facilitates better clinical decision-making by integrating information from several sources to give rich data.
Medication errors often occur due to poor handwriting, ambiguous abbreviations, and sloppy record-keeping, affecting a multitude of patients all across the world.
It delays healthcare and impedes clinical decision-making. Software for tracking community health can deal with large volumes of data without going through a labor-intensive collection process to improve community health.